Friday, April 20, 2007

Shimmer Tags

My infatuation with shimmer started in 1999. I remember it like it was yesterday. I was in Chicago on business at the time the movie “A Midsummer’s Night Dream” was coming out. All of the fashion magazines were featuring girls with make-up resembling fairies. Essential to a fairy’s appearance? A soft, shimmery glow.


My cohorts and I scoured every make-up counter for the perfect product (you think I am obsessive with art supplies? You should have seen how I used to be while shopping for make-up!) to give ourselves that fresh glow. I can’t tell you how many dollars were wasted on bad shimmer. A lot of make-up ended up in the Luggage archives, only to be later thrown away. These days it’s easy to find a good shimmer.


Not so easy to find good shimmer in paper products though. So much of it is too glittery, which makes me think it looks like a grade school project. I was looking for the perfect subtle shimmer. Cut to the chase? How did I make these tags? Easy. A little bit of Perfect Pearls in a spray bottle. Simple as pie. Umm…pie. One photo with the flash to highlight the shimmer and one in natural light. I bent them a little on purpose to give them a worn look. Two of the tags are for my friend, so I matched them up with hand dyed ribbon.


All images: justjohanna rubber stamps. Holtz Distress Inks.



9 comments:

emilia in Taiwan said...

They are breath-taking! Or, I should say, they are absolutely shimmer!

Anna said...

these came out really well. they look terrific.

Godelieve said...

Stunning! These must look gorgeous IRL. The ribbon goes perfect with the shimmery tags!

Anonymous said...

it seems to me that sub-standard shimmery makeup, while likely not acid-free, could be re-purposed as shimmery art supplies... i never throw anything away. :)

Tami Bayer said...

Oh these are shimtastic. Ok, I need more info on this technique. Perfect pearls are powders. Did you mix in water and spray after all the stamping and coloring? I really must give this a go.

Julie Prichard said...

I'll put the technique in the review blog next :)

shuggy said...

very nice. i love shimmer.

Thanh Vo said...

I lovey the shimmer!!! I must go out and buy these if I can find them. Heading to a big lss on sunday, lets hope they carry them. I like my glitzy glitter, but I love the subtleness of these pearls. <3

ps, i miss you commenting on my blog. I was worried you declared luggage war on me ;)

pss, no this is not a sad attempt at getting you to spam my blog - it was a fact that i miss you.

Leni said...

like these tags.