Sunday, April 1, 2007

Weekend Recap

Greetings from beautiful California! What a fantastic weekend we've had. I can't remember Friday, but I remember Saturday and Sunday...

Saturday Morning was the annual pancake breakfast and Easter egg hunt at the local park. The Carry-On got one egg and was very happy. The Commander on the other had was again appalled by the behavior of the locals here in Orange County. The greed does not stop at anything. Parents ignored the announcer and let their older children hunt eggs during the toddler hunt...and many parents ran into the field to help their kids gobble up as many eggs as possible. I feel mortified with the possibility that some of the children did not walk away with any eggs. It was a disgusting display at the park that morning.

I had the opportunity to fulfill my Executive Chef duties in Escondido again this weekend. Luggage was very happy to have been able to help on Saturday afternoon and into the night.

With great difficulty, I woke up this morning to meet bigbadmike at the flea market. We were both excited to be able to get to this flea market. It was not an excellent day for finding treasures, but I was able to come away with a few things I can wreck in my beginning attempts of mixed media art. My favorite find was the 1966 Spanish Grammar handbook that was used by the Border Patrol. There are also 4 mini red leather books, some funny Mexican postcards from the 50's and a tourism book for visiting Hong Kong. All have great illustrations and potential.

Since I have been exploring the possibilities of mixed media, I have been much more aware of the materials that can be used in making this art. Therefore, it has also been a busy week on the 'bay for me as well. Take a look at these great Madonna and child vintage postcards I got for a steal! I also bought a bunch of miligros which are outside now starting to rust.

I think I am going to take some time to find myself this week...Spring Break if you will. Hopefully we'll be back up and running towards the end of the week. As always, I appreciate you stopping by the blogs! To all my friends new and old, have a great week

5 comments:

Erin said...

cool stuff, enjoy your altered journey.

Auntie Jill said...

ROFLMAO!! I love your reference to your little one, "carry on"!!

Okay...It's sad to know that things haven't changed any at the Easter Egg Hunts. Here, in Escondido, we took our kids. Back in the early 80's. They were also toddlers. Parents were just as rude then!!

I LOVE your new junk!! I hope to see you soon.

Debbie said...

Hey, I have some Japanese (or are they Chinese?) books you can have if you want to wreck them. I got them for free and I have lots.

Sorry about the egg hunt. People suck sometimes.

Hi to bigbadmike!

bigbadmike said...

As we know (all too well), some parents get a little over zealous at the hunts. Now I am not in any way implying that the OC has an inordinate number of over achieving, asset grabbing, get-all-you-can type of folks....lol.....but I saw your Egg Hunt pictures and I have never seen a crowd more desperate to trample their neighbors and beat their chests over their victories! Glad that Carry On had a great time despite the materialistic tendencies exhibited by the peeps in your neighborhood.

Hi Debbie!

Julie Prichard said...

Maybe you two should get a room.... >snicker<