Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Luggage Torment

Do not pass go, do not collect two hundred dollars. I decided to have an impromptu jibber jabber session tonight.

I am transfixed by art blogs. I cannot look away from them. I am not talking about my usual daily perusal, but hundreds of other blogs that I have come by this way or that. They are mesmerizing. Every one of them is so different and every blog contains a different type of “art”.

Paint, pencils, pen, wood, fabric, felt, altered, organized, modern, vintage…there are SO many artists with blogs.

Am I an artist? I don’t think so. Not yet anyway. At this point in my life I think I may like to be an artist. My mother was an artist, also the tormented type. Maybe this is the path I am destined for.

I want to try it all. I see a project, watch a tutorial and then spend a long time researching the cost of all of the materials. Just I am about to click “continue to checkout” I am reminded of all of the other projects that are sitting here already, waiting for me to try. I h ave a bad case of "I can make that" itis.

Don’t get me wrong, I have not been without “art” in my life all this time. I think it (my tendancy for art) was suppressed by the man though. I almost graduated college with a major in photography…one semester short. That’s when I dumped all the art and dove head first into gemology. I loved gemology and I still do. But, jewelry making? Not so much. I think I have pretty much beaten the jewelry avenue for this life time. I still brush up now and then hoping that one day, bigbadmike and I will strike it rich with a rare gemological flea market find. I always have my tools in my purse. (Why? I am not sure, but you can hit me up any time for a jewelers loupe…always at the ready.) Kim and I used to play NTN trivia in various bars…I prayed every close game for a gemological question to come up. It happened once. I remember it like it was yesterday. We won. (What was the biggest diamond ever found? Everyone in the bar picked “Hope”. Suckers.)

What should I do? (Rhetorical.) I doodled some doodles tonight. They are not as bad as I thought they would be. I have never had a history of being able to draw well, but I was encouraged by some other bloggers to give it a try. I like all this mixed media mumbo jumbo that seems to have taken the blogging community by storm. Also trouble. I am a fan of simplicity. Can mixed media or collage work for me? I guess we’ll have to wait and see…

From Google, Yo: Cullinan I - also known as The Star of Africa was named after Sir Thomas Cullinan, owner of the mining company, and currently claims the title of largest cut diamond in the world. Of all the worlds largest diamonds Cullinan I is the largest. It was cut by Asscher in Amsterdam, weighs 530.20 carats, and has 74 facets. The Cullinan now resides in the Tower of London and is set in the sceptre of King Edward VII.

6 comments:

Auntie Jill said...

Where are your doodles????

shuggy said...

i am so not an artist. crafty, yes, artsy, no.

yes, show the doodles!

Godelieve said...

Please show the doodles ;)

PennyBlue said...

Interesting post. I think even artists struggle with the question AM I REALLY...? Would love to see the doodles!

Julie Prichard said...

Sorry....I am not ready to show the doodles. :) I doodled on a 2x7" scrap of paper with a sharpie for about 8 minutes before the smell made me sick LOL.

Auntie Jill- HOlllllaaaahhh!

Anonymous said...

i want to see doodles!! and how come auntie jill visits you & not me??? have you tried illustration friday? it's super-fun. belle is one of the results of illustration friday.