Sunday, September 23, 2007

Silvergleem and Johnny Cash

I am going to talk about music again, and I would appreciate it if you, readers, would refrain from telling me about the drug using, crime ridden, womanizing ways of Johnny Cash. I like him and I don't care what you all say. I'll watch the movie "Walk the Line" any time it comes on and I listen to the soundtrack and Johnny's greatest hits every time I sit here. While I was making these, I was listening to "Hurt"- his cover of the great NIN hit. I am mesmerized by his voice in that song and I can't stop thinking about "...everyone I know goes away in the end.."

Now- what they don't tell you about soldering. It smells. Thankfully it doesn't stink up your room and stay in there, but it surely emits an unpleasant odor while the process is underway. These are my first two attempts- 1.5x1.5" mini-collages a la Sally Jean. The winged dude was my first attempt, the K followed this morning. They're ok...not fantastic, but I am learning. I used some random solder on the first one to get started and then the Silvergleem on number two. I need to buy some metal polish this afternoon and see what happens. If you're keeping score, I still have 9 fingertips left and only a small hole in my pant leg.

Cheers!

13 comments:

M!ssPr!ssy said...

I love Johnny Cash and have that CD. Soldering, make sure you are in a well ventilated space especially if you are using lead solder. I did stained glass for 10 years and tons of soldering.

Tami Bayer said...

I grew up listening to Johnny Cash-my dad's favorite singer. I know all the old ones and I loved the movie. Ok, now you are soldering...wow! That is cool. I've not tried that yet.

Anonymous said...

I like Johnny Cash! I loved Walk the Line too. Soldering, wow now that's thinking outside the home improvement box. Spartymom-Kim

Heather Grow said...

Looks great for a first time. I still haven't seen walk the line.

Susan Tuttle said...

I like Johnny Cash too--especially the song 'Hurt' with that pedal tone (sorry, musician speaking here)--you know--that one note that keeps repeating throughout the song--gives it an awesome drive!

Nice soldering jobs! I have yet to try.

Thanks so much for your kind comments about Artwords and Somerset Holidays and Celebrations. I am going to miss Artwords, but it was just time.

Thanks for all of your wonderful contributions!

Susan
xo

emilia in Taiwan said...

this is cool! did you make the circle of K too ?

Hermine said...

Gorgeous,k wished I could solder.

Laura Bray said...

I like soldering too, but like you, am still a newbie. I'm going to Art & Soul in a week and taking a class with Sally Jean! I can't wait!

Tania said...

I love his cover of "one" sooooooo much! But I don't know anything about soldering.

Artists With Artitude said...

Ah, my woman in black with a soldering touch! You've good taste in music and guts when it comes to creativity. Bravo!

Anonymous said...

i cant say a bad thing about Johnny Cash...love him and I feel exactly the same about Hurt, that song cant help leave an impression.

thimbles bobbins paper and ink said...

Soldering! WOW! It looks great and makes me want to got down to the bowels of the basement where my husband's soldering iron is and create...but I'll need some guidance from you. Looking forward to seeing more soldering art. Oh...and crank up the volume on Johnny! :)

thimbles bobbins paper and ink said...

Soldering! WOW! It looks great and makes me want to got down to the bowels of the basement where my husband's soldering iron is and create...but I'll need some guidance from you. Looking forward to seeing more soldering art. Oh...and crank up the volume on Johnny! :)